Today, there are many opportunities for students to find jobs on-campus. If you want to develop a certain skill or receive a definite experience, on-campus employment is the best way to improve yourself. You may visit your university`s website to check on the services, departments and faculties that are employing students currently. In addition, your fellow students and professors may help you to find on-campus job of your dream. Make the search of on-campus employment easier by checking the departments that hired students in the past. It is better to contact them personally, because many job requirements may have changed.
- Academic departments: visit the administrative office to check on available job opportunities.
- Campus Recreation: this is the largest college unit that often hires students. Annually, they hire around 350 young people for positions like intramural sport officials, personal trainers, aerobics instructors, lifeguards, league coordinators, etc.
- Computer and Graphic services: they offer jobs and trainings for students who have majors in IT areas.
- Housing: contact them if you want to be employed as a front desk clerk.
- Writing Support Centre: they hire students as tutors, writing instructors and administrative assistants.
- Hospitality Services: they are looking for customer service-oriented individuals to join the team of professionals.
- International Students: find more information about on-campus jobs for students by visiting the International and Exchange Student Centre.
Guideline on Contacting Departments, Faculties and Services
- Behave in a professional manner (avoid jargon in communication, dress business casual, smile and maintain eye contact) and explain the reason why you get in touch with them.
- If you find out that they are hiring now, ask to check job descriptions on your own and determine whether you have the necessary experience and skills.
- Find out the best way to apply (by sending them your resume, email or making online application).
- If there are no available vacancies, ask when they are planning to start the hiring season.
- In case you are interested to work in a definite department, visit their representative and negotiate the possibility of your employment.